Steam Download Slow? Here are the Causes and How to Fix it
Steam Download Slow: Recently, a significant amount of users have been complaining of slow download speeds when downloading games via Steam.
While the reason behind it could be many factors, the first thing to take to address this issue is to evaluate the speed of download on Steam with the speed of your network download at a similar rate.
If you’re also struggling with slow steam download speed do not be concerned. In this article, we’ll provide solutions that are simple and quick to help you eliminate why is steam downloading so slow with no trouble. Read this article to learn more.
Why is Steam downloading so Slow? Causes Behind Steam Download Slow Speed
Below, we’ve listed some possible causes for Steam downloading so slow. Knowing the cause can help you avoid such incidents from happening in the near future.
- Cache files
- Different download server location
- Antiviruses like Firewall, and others.
- Network driver out of date
- Poor Network connection
These are just a few reasons that could cause the slow downloading speed Steam. Next, we’ve suggested a few simple fixes that can solve the issue with ease.
How to Fix the Slow Steam Download Speed?
The slow download speed of Steam can be extremely frustrating. We have therefore provided you with a list of simple and effective solutions to assist you in removing the slow downloading of Steam to your computer in a speedy manner.
Change the Download Limit
It is possible to experience a fluctuation in download speed or slow steam download speed in the event that the bandwidth isn’t a limit. The problem could get worse when connections are unstable, resulting in the download speed to slow down steam. One method to address this issue is to alter the limit for downloading. To do this do the following steps below.
- Utilize ” Run as administrator” to launch Steam. Steam client.
- In the upper corner and the left edge of the screen look for the Steam button and click it. Then, select Settings by selecting the drop-down list.
- After opening the settings, click downloads. In the drop-down menu, you’ll see windows that let you restrict the amount of bandwidth. Make your selection wisely and proceed with the download.
Get Rid of Download Cache
If you’ve suffered from slow download speed in the Steam application It is best to eliminate the download cache. Here’s how you accomplish this.
- The first step is to go to Steam in Your Steam browser and then click Settings.
- Then, click downloads and then Clear Download cache. Then, click OK to affirm.
- Then, log in to the Steam account and test whether the download speed has been returned.
It should solve your issue with no difficulties. However, if the issue persists, be sure to follow the next step.
Change the Download Server Location
There is a chance that you will experience an issue with your slow download speed steam in the event that the server you are downloading from isn’t functioning properly. So, be sure to test the server at an alternative location and check whether it is working for you or not.
- Select Steam which is located within Your Steam application and then navigate to Settings..
- Then, click downloads and then select the drop-down menu that is located under download region. Choose a different server for download location and select OK.
- Begin downloading the game and test whether it’s working for you or not.
If this method fails, repeat the steps once more to allow you to select a different place.
Disable the Firewall Temporarily
Security software is another reason you could be experiencing some interference. So, turn off the firewall for a short period if you believe that this is the reason for this issue.
In order to disable it effectively ensure that you go through the manual of the security software you are using.
If this fix doesn’t resolve the issue, then it’s better to switch to another security program. It is also recommended and recommended that you navigate to websites and open links with caution even if your antivirus is off.
End the Resource Hogging Programs
Sometimes download games use up the capacity of your hard drive, which can reduce the speed of downloads, since there are many other programs that could create a high usage of your hard drive.
Therefore, it is strongly recommended to examine your use of your disk and eliminate the programs that drain your resources. If you’re looking to test your hard drive’s usage take the steps listed in the following steps.
- The first step is to first click the right button on the empty space on the taskbar and then choose Task Manager..
- In your Task Manager examine the utilization of your hard drive on your system. You can then close the processes or programs that are generating excessive usage that you don’t need right now. This can be done by right-clicking and choosing End Task/Process.
Finally, try restarting the download and check whether these options are effective for you or not.
Check the Status of Your Network Connection
There may be an issue with your download speed in the event of a glitch with your network connection or if your network provider isn’t functioning properly. To verify the condition of your network connection follow the steps below.
- Check first if the PC is online or not. Also, verify the network cable connection as well as the status of your wireless network.
- It is recommended to restart the network device that comprises computers and modems and routers. Examine if the issue persists.
- If you do notice some issues with your internet connection, it’s best to talk to the Internet service provider to ensure that they can resolve the issue quickly.
Install Steam Again to Fix Steam Download Slow Speed
It is possible to encounter this error if your Steam files are corrupted due to reasons. To eliminate this issue, you must follow the steps precisely as outlined below.
- Then, start the Steam program, and then click Steam. Select”Back-up and Restore” option ” Backup and Restore Games” option.
- Then, click Next, and then select the programs and games you would like to backup. Next, click Next again and choose the location where you will store your backups. Click on Next.
- Modify the size of the backup file as well as name settings. Then press Next. Next button.
- Following this, you need to rest for a while to ensure your backup procedure will be completed, and you must ensure to close Steam.
- Then step, Next, press Windows+R simultaneously. This will open your Run box on your behalf. Then you type ” appwiz.cpl ” and then press Enter.
- When the list comes up, click the Steam option, then choose ” uninstall“. Follow the steps on the screen to ensure successful removal of the application. Steam Download Steam, and then install it.
- Then, open the Steam program, and then choose Steamand Backup then Restore Games. Select the ” Restore a previous backup” option, and after that click The Next.
- Then, search and choose the folder where your backup is located and then click Next.
- Select the games that you would like to restore and then click Next. Do this for a few minutes until the restoration process is completed successfully.
Try to determine if this will help you get rid of the issue of slow steam download speed.
Summing Up – Steam Download Slow
We would like to think that at the very most one of these solutions can help you fix the issue with ease. We would love your feedback in the comments whether these suggestions were beneficial to the user or not. Should you happen to have concerns you have, be sure to address your concerns in the comments section below.